• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 7, 2021

    The Last of Us | Just got rubber duck Joel

    The Last of Us | Just got rubber duck Joel


    Just got rubber duck Joel

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 09:07 AM PST

    Angry but beautiful...

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 12:02 AM PST

    A keychain I made for my wife shortly after we got married. She sadly passed away last year. But I'm not lost because I have our daughter by my side now, and I've spent the past week trying to make it look brand new. Thought I'd share it here

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 01:55 PM PST

    Didn't know this was part of the game till last night. Its a little easter egg you can find right after you cross the hydroelectric dam, for those who didn't know.

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 11:14 AM PST

    Tlou David fight cutscene glitch

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 05:01 PM PST

    I was on my 2nd tlou playthrough and in the restaurant boss fight at David's camp, but when I got to the exit of the restaurant, right when Ellie was supposed to open the front door and David was supposed to come in and take Ellie's gun, I just stood there and could only hear the audio of the cutscene that was supposed to play (I wasn't stuck, I could still move). Because this was not my first play through I immediately recognized that is wasn't supposed to happen, so I decided to restart encounter and hope it would bring me back somewhere I could try and trigger the cutscene again, but instead it brought me further into the game where David looks for you around the restaurant, it would've been fine since missing a single cutscene isn't too bad, but I still had my revolver which you're not supposed to have in that section of the game, so I could shoot David in the head. Is there any way I can restart the section? Even if I need to start at the beginning of David's camp. I don't want to restart the entire chapter. Please advice.

    submitted by /u/Repulsive_Donkey_443
    [link] [comments]

    Quick 5k (grounded+)

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 02:00 PM PST

    Made a trailer of TLOU2 x Adele's Skyfall. Game inspired me to pick up video editing! Warning, spoilers!

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 08:03 PM PST

    Here is my essay I recently wrote about why The Last of Us 2 only works as a video game. It includes video games as an artistic medium, a summary of part 1 and 2, and why part 2 only works as a video game

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 06:19 PM PST

    The Last of Us Part II Only Works as a Video Game

    Video games are one of the fastest growing entertainments in the world. It is not surprising. One can download games on their phone, computer, laptop, or video game console. With regards to other entertainment mediums, video games are the only one that let you control the main character. They are also very fun! However, in this paper, I am not going to be focusing on the fun aspect of video games. Rather, I will be focusing on the artistic aspect. The Last of Us Part II only works, or at least works best, as a video game.

    Video games as an artistic medium is a relatively new idea. It was only sixty years ago that passing a pixelated ball between two pixelated paddles was revolutionary. Most people would not consider Pong art, and I wouldn't disagree with them. However, like any medium, video games have evolved. Henry Jenkins, Professor of Communication, Journalism, and Cinematic Arts at the University of South California, prophesied a future in which video games are considered an art form. In his article from 2000, "Art Form for the Digital Age," Jenkins speaks to the future of video games. He speaks a lot to the naysayers. He mentions that senators have describes video games as "cultural pollution" and "the 'nightmare before Christmas'" (457). Jenkins' contrasts video games' treatment with early cinema. A leading arts critic, Gilbert Seldes, included cinema as a lively art. Many were appalled, and heavily disagreed with cinema. They argued that cinema had not produce anything that past the test of time and that cinema is overly violent and sexual (458). Over time, film grew out of the aforementioned overly violent and sexual subject matter it had been criticized for. Currently, film is one of the most respected arts and has produced masterpieces such as The Godfather, Schindler's List, Taxi Driver, and countless others. Jenkins had high hopes that video games could graduate from the fun, adrenaline-filled pieces to layered stories with complex characters (459). Jenkins had some skepticism in him, however, because video games had not proved themselves at the time. In the twenty years since Jenkins' article, I would say that he is right and wrong with his prediction.

    Many video games are not art. There are countless examples of lifeless games, such as sports video games. They are exactly as a senator put it, "cultural pollution" (qtd. in Jenkins, 457). Sports video games do not push the pin, so to speak. They do not challenge any belief, nor do they have complex characters. Sure, characters are present. However, they are less characters than vessels for the player's enjoyment. It may sound like I hate sports video games, but I do not want to come across that way. Sports video games are great! They just are not art. But that is not a bad thing. Sports games are like popcorn: fun for a while, but not filling. Esports also fall into the category of video games that are not art. They are fun to watch, and make loads of money, but they also do not push the pin.

    Many video games, however, are art. In his article, Jenkins wrote, "Contemporary games can pump us full of adrenaline, they can make us laugh, but they have not yet provoked us to tears" (459). In the year 2021 video games have provoked many to tears. All it takes is one YouTube search of a video game clip and a scroll to the comment section to see many speaking as to how a video games have affected them. One of those games that has provoked many to tears is The Last of Us Part II, the central game of this essay.

    To understand why The Last of Us Part II works best as a video game, one must understand the basics of the video game. In The Last of Us, Joel is the playable protagonist, and the game spans across the United States. It is ultimately a father-daughter story, and the relationship between Joel and his surrogate daughter, Ellie, is what makes the game great. After the game released, Joel and Ellie became one of the most loved duos in gaming history. In the first hours of The Last of Us Part II, Joel is brutally tortured and killed by a woman named Abby Anderson. Abby is the daughter of a man Joel had killed in the first game; she got revenge for her father's death, which is the first instance of the cycle of revenge presented in the game. Ellie, to get revenge for Joel's death, goes off to kill Abby. On her journey of revenge, Ellie kills all of Abby's friends, but does not quite reach Abby. Halfway through the game, the narrative is switched, and Abby is the playable protagonist. You play through three days of Abby's life, seeing her insecurities and fears, and seeing all her friend's die. You are asked to empathize with a character you were made to hate. Shockingly, it works. When you get to what is believed to be the final confrontation, it is hard to attack either of the characters you now love. Thankfully, neither dies. The game then jumps a year into the future. Back in the narrative seat, Ellie has PTSD, cannot sleep or eat, and her mind is constantly preoccupied with Abby. She throws away a life with a partner and child to chase Abby once more. At the last confrontation, Ellie has the upper hand, brutally drowning Abby. However, Ellie chooses to let Abby go. Spurned on by the memory of her last encounter with Joel, she decided to break the cycle of revenge.

    One of the main themes in the The Last of Us Part II is the cycle of revenge. The cycle of revenge can be summed up as: I do something to you, so you do something to me, so I do something to you, etc. That, essentially, is the story of The Last of Us Part II; Joel killed Abby's dad, so Abby killed Joel. Because Abby killed Joel, Ellie tries to kill Abby. The obvious downside of the cycle of revenge is summed up beautifully in a TV Tropes article:

    Frequently in these stories, no side is completely wrong, no one is really right, both are very understandable, and such stories are usually painful to watch. Moral Myopia often deepens it, when both sides think that treating one of theirs is worth treating a dozen of the others, and so attempt to inflict that many torments and deaths in retribution. The escalating body count creates a vicious circle that spreads out like a virus, causing more and more casualties as it goes on, until it ends with one party (if not both of them) getting wiped out entirely or being stopped ("Cycle of Revenge").

    As mentioned in the same article, the cycle of revenge, if handled poorly can result in the belief that if wronged, your only option is to get revenge or let them get away with it. The Last of Us Part II avoids that entirely. Ellie and Abby both pay for their revenge. Abby discovered that killing Joel did not help; it did not "fix" her in the way she had hoped. Ellie, hellbent on revenge, lost good people in her life that cared about her. Because of her selfishness, she ended up alone.

    There are two reasons why The Last of Us Part II only works, or at least works best, as a video game. The first reason why it works best as a video game is because you control the characters; you live vicariously through Ellie, or at least I do. I hated Abby while playing as Ellie because I feel like she wronged me. I felt joy when Abby's friends were killed by Ellie because I viewed it as justified. However, when the narrative changes, and I lived vicariously through Abby, the game challenged my beliefs as to if Abby is evil. Because it is written well, I began to care for characters that I felt joy at murdering, which saddened me. As I grew to love Abby, I began to see flaws with both her and Ellie's way of thinking. With other mediums, I do not see the story landing as hard as it does, because you do not physically control the characters. The narrative shift might work in a book, but not nearly as well. In either film or television, the narrative shift would be laughable. But because the characters were controlled by me, the shift hit me like a truck. The second reason why The Last of Us Part II works best as a video game is because of the run-time. The Last of Us Part II is a 25-hour video game, half of which you play as Ellie and half of which you play as Abby. Because the game is so long, there is a lot of free time to play with. Most of the free time is devoted to character development. In the large chunk of time where nothing narratively really happens, the void is filled with dialogue. In the dialogue, the characters are fully explored. We know what makes Ellie tick, what makes her insecure, and what drives her to continue her journey. Similarly, we know what makes Abby tick, how her revenge left her hollow, and her questioning of beliefs. In a two-and-a-half-hour film or a television show that spans ten episodes, the same dedication to character development would not be shown. Long periods of time where nothing narratively happens is commonplace in video games like The Last of Us Part II, so it can devote the amount of time it does to character development, and no one cares. However, in film and television, almost no one would be okay with hours and hours of pure dialogue where nothing plot-related happens. Again, the issue of character development would work very well in a book. But because of the issue of narrative development compounded with how the narrative shift only works great with video games, The Last of Us Part II only works if it is a video game.

    Video games as an artistic medium have evolved greatly in their short history. At the time of Henry Jenkins' article, video games were on the verge of being art. In 2021, video games are one of the most interesting artistic mediums there are. As demonstrated because of its take on the cycle of revenge, character development, and shift in the narrative, The Last of Us Part II only works, or at least works best, as a video game.

    Works Cited

    Jenkins, Henry. "Art Form for the Digital Age." Reading Popular Culture: An Anthology for Writers. Ed. Michael Keller. Dubuque: Kendall Hunt, 2015. 457-461. Print.

    "Cycle of Revenge." TV Tropes. Web. Accessed 4 March 2021.

    submitted by /u/pstrkkur
    [link] [comments]

    Just played it again...

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 01:28 PM PST

    ... and I'm in tears. A 46 yo 191cm Swedish bearded dude. It's soooo good.

    I hope we get to meet Abby and Lev again. I really like them.

    Can Dina, now that Ellie worked through her issues, get past the fact that Ellie choose vengeance over love? Will they find their way back together?

    Will Ellie go back to the town or just wander the earth, doing.... hero stuff, Kung Fu style?

    Could there be a TLoU3? Same world, different characters?

    I just don't want it to be over, I want more from this universe. Sure, tv show is coming up (excited about that one), but more playable content is what I truly want.

    "I would like to try".

    submitted by /u/kwxl
    [link] [comments]

    I'm having so much fun with this quote generator :D

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 12:03 PM PST

    Just got my first platinum trophy in my favorite game!

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 01:24 AM PST

    Just finished it on Grounded (+) Mode, took my time with it tbh didn’t rush, my biggest fear was facing the Rat King, surprisingly tho it was actually the easiest and didn’t even die once, that was the hardest and most intense and most fun experience i’ve had in a game, I’m addicted to this game

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 05:54 PM PST

    Ellie!

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 03:51 PM PST

    Bomb stacking experiment

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 01:54 PM PST

    Van we just stop by and appreciate this awesome masterpiece... (credits in comments)

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 12:00 AM PST

    The Last Of Us set in Portlaoise, Ireland

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 04:19 AM PST

    The official The last of us podcast (pt I & II)

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 06:01 AM PST

    I just wanted to recommend The Last of us Podcast, probably available on every major streaming site. It's so fucking good!

    Neil, Hailey, Ashley, Troy, Laura, Shannon and others involved in the game discuss part I and II. I love all the back stories and the ideas they played around with.

    submitted by /u/IYLITDLFTL
    [link] [comments]

    Spores Question

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 10:02 AM PST

    I'm going through the game a second time and I've gotten to the fight with Nora in the lower levels of the hospital. I'm wondering, when they drop down into the area filled with spores, was Nora screwed the second she inhaled? How long can somebody inhale spores, if at all, before they are inevitably doomed to succumb to the infection

    submitted by /u/shimmerdiedamartyr
    [link] [comments]

    What was your fav moment from tlou2

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 03:51 AM PST

    Mine had to be the subway area

    The flares filling the air with a red glow, seeing those creepy humpbacks (my name for shamblers) for the first time

    Hearing clicks and gunfire evrywhere once you make the clickers aware of your pursuers

    Fucking amazing

    submitted by /u/elitegamer686868
    [link] [comments]

    Wanting to play this amazing game

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 07:50 PM PST

    I want to play The Last of Us 1 and 2 so bad, but I don't have a PlayStation. I've never wanted to play a game as bad as this, videos on YouTube look so good. Is there a way to play it on pc/Xbox? Pc is probably more likely, though Xbox is preferred. I've heard about PlayStation now which is like a cloud gaming service, anyone knows if it works or not? Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/Fourt-Nuyt
    [link] [comments]

    Is the last of us 2 worth it?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 07:23 PM PST

    I recently got my ps5 and been playing a ton of ps4 games since I've always been on xbox. I played and beat the last of us 1 and loved it so much but nervous to spend $60 on part 2 due to all the mixed reviews. I know the main spoiler about a certain character but that's it. What should I do?.

    submitted by /u/x_Junkster_x
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment