• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 15, 2020

    The Last of Us | I can't believe I didn't notice the similarity at first. Talk about becoming the monster you were once afraid of...

    The Last of Us | I can't believe I didn't notice the similarity at first. Talk about becoming the monster you were once afraid of...


    I can't believe I didn't notice the similarity at first. Talk about becoming the monster you were once afraid of...

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 09:40 AM PDT

    Scared me senseless during my first playthrough

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 04:13 PM PDT

    Dina Fanart

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 08:09 AM PDT

    After months and months of waiting this duo finally arrived. The detail on Joel’s pop is amazing.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    Idk if this has been posted but teeth come out of the enemies mouth when they are hit with a weapon

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:11 PM PDT

    Finally defeated TLOU Part II on Grounded difficulty!

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 08:48 AM PDT

    good commentary on Abby's character

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:30 AM PDT

    Damn, anybody get this animation yet?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 02:47 PM PDT

    So I beat Part II last night, been reflecting on the game since

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:08 PM PDT

    Holy shit. That was an intense game experience. The first game was a really simple story told really well about Joel bonding with Ellie and softening up to her and seeing her as a second chance to be a father. And when he died in part 2 I expected something similar: a really simple, well-told story about Ellie's quest for vengeance that would end with her either getting her revenge, getting killed, or giving up.

    And I kind of got that right about the ending, sort of, but the game threw a lot of curveballs at me. The story just wasn't that simple. It had complexity. Throwing us into Abby's parallel story right as I thought we had gotten to the endgame was really jarring. It made me wonder if I trusted the writers to do this well, because I was thinking hard about alternative ways to achieve what they did without such a jarring shift. By the end, I came to like the jarring shift. I wasn't supposed to like Abby to start with. I was supposed to understand why she felt the need for vengeance, to see what little it had done for her - she still couldn't sleep without nightmares, her friend group was fracturing, and she was still in the same rut of doing the same things she had been doing for four years. Vengeance got her nothing, and it was only a chance encounter with Yara and Lev that got her thinking about changing her priorities.

    By the time the stories converged again, and I was playing as Abby against Ellie, I was really conflicted and didn't want either to kill the other. And when Lev broke through to Abby and Abby let Ellie and Dina live, I thought back to what she said about the first time they encountered each other: "We let you live, and you wasted it." I wanted Ellie to not waste it again, and I thought we had hit the end.

    And we weren't at the end. And Tommy's all-consuming desire for revenge has left him a broken, bitter man who no longer had a family like Joel was at the start of the first game, only with a motive of revenge to spark him. And when he put his burden of vengeance on Ellie, I was pleading with the game to let Ellie listen and not break up her family over vengeance. So of course she did. And when we find Abby at the pillars, I was hoping she would see that vengeance was unnecessary. Abby had been crucified and clearly had been up there for a couple days, starving and wasting away in the sun. When Ellie put her stuff in the boat, I was hopeful, then she threatened Lev in order to goad Abby into a fight.

    And this was the most uncomfortable fight I have ever played in any game. I didn't want Ellie to win, period. Freeing someone who had been enslaved and tortured the way Abby had only to try and kill them right after because you want her death on your hands to satiate your need for vengeance is fucked up. If she just wanted Abby dead, she could have left her up there. But she didn't. She wanted to do the killing. This is, for me, Ellie's lowest moment, and having to control her during this fight and inflict more pain on Abby until the game finished the fight with the cutscene was a horrible feeling. I didn't like how Ellie was and I didn't like how I, as the person controlling her, was still trying to kill her either. I'm glad that Ellie had her realization that if she could try to forgive Joel, she could try to forgive Abby too. I wish for both their sakes she had realized it sooner.

    Anyway, some assorted musings that don't fit the above:

    • I'm glad Dina packed up after Ellie abandoned her. I felt that showed great strength to follow through with that. If there is a part three, I'm not sure I want Ellie to go back to Jackson, but if she does, I want her to have to earn Dina's trust and love back again. You can't just walk out on your family and expect to walk back in like nothing happened.
    • The Seraphites were fascinating and I wanted to learn so much more about them and their prophet.
    • Lev is the best boy. I developed immediate affection for him and became very protective of him. Abby's story parallels Joel's in part one on so many layers, including play style, and Lev is what really helped draw me in on seeing Abby's potential. Obviously no accident,
    • Send me to horny jail for it, but damn I'd enjoy a wrestling match with Abby.
    • The rat king might have been a unique circumstance (how many other cities locked a bunch of infected into a small enclosed space early in the outbreak and they went undisturbed for over 20 years, after all), but holy hell that was an intense fight. The way Ellie describes Las Vegas, I can only imagine the mutated horrors that lurk there.
    • One thing that stood out to me when Tommy was sniping at Manny and Abby was his use of infected against them. And it occurred to me that setting infected on other humans in a fight is a tactic we only ever see Ellie and Tommy use. We never get an opportunity in the first game to do it as Joel, but I assume it's a trick that all three are familiar with and possibly one that Tommy and Joel pioneered before Ellie was ever in the picture. Regardless, it's an excellent tactic from a gameplay perspective, but by the end of the game as I was feeling hard about Ellie's choices and reflecting on how Abby and Manny felt when Tommy did it to them, holy hell is it a vile tactic.
    • I was so sure for so long that Eugene was the one who gave up Joel's location to the WLF, only to learn in Abby's section during the Christmas flashback that she didn't know Joel was even there and had just found out about Tommy's whereabouts from fireflies who made it to them (and if Eugene had stopped, he had no reason to only give up Tommy's presence in Jackson). A really well-done red herring.
    • Seth can eat a bag of dicks. Fuck him and his shitty apology, and as much as Maria was trying to quash the beginnings of a possible petty feud (which ties neatly with the themes about vengeance and feud in the game as a whole), this wasn't the situation for trying to make Ellie accept his apology. He can apologize, she doesn't have to accept it, that's it, as far as I'm concerned.

    Anyway, wow. I sure am glad I got into the first game right when I heard a sequel had come out, and this has been a hell of an experience. If you actually made it to the end of this long ramble, endure and survive.

    submitted by /u/SaintRidley
    [link] [comments]

    I just love this game. Heres my part one collection.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 02:45 PM PDT

    He’s finally arrived! I usually don’t post on anything but I decided to share with this amazing community my Joel pop that took forever to arrive! Now waiting on Ellie...

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 03:15 PM PDT

    I don't think Abby could help with that.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 06:16 PM PDT

    Picked up my Joel gamestop pop today

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:45 AM PDT

    Enjoy

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 11:40 AM PDT

    I don't really know how this works or if I'm gonna get banned... but `it can't be for nothing`. I made this video that's part of this series Why I Love and of course I started with TLOU. It's a love letter to the game, cast and devs so maybe you will like it.

    Oh it's full of spoilers, but I reckon you kind folks didn't make this thread if you haven't finished it yet so...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDYeSqy2AEA&t=1s&ab_channel=LatetothePartyVG

    submitted by /u/LTTPvg
    [link] [comments]

    some ellie fanart from last month ��

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    Tried making Ellie’s switchblade as a lego. Yes my face is in video, But it’s covered

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 01:31 PM PDT

    Ellie

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 01:40 PM PDT

    I did this drawing when tlou2 was when it was in the most controversial topic at the time, what did you guys think about it? I'm still a bit torn lol

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    Joel's jacket look-a-like: $30

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 06:45 PM PDT

    Did you ever want to empty a clip into someone before they know they've been shot?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 09:37 PM PDT

    "If somehow the Lord gave me a second chance at that moment, I'd do it all over again."

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 09:15 AM PDT

    Does anyone have a gif of Ellie hitting a joint?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 11:57 AM PDT

    I am required to add some substance to my post or else it gets auto removed, so I'll tell a story. A few weeks ago it was late at night and I went out to take a walk. Clear Autumn night, still had some heat radiating off the ground from the warm day. I live close to Jackson, WY and the landscape is similar to that of the town/Ellie and Dina's ranch. I put on some TLOU guitar music and was walking down a gravel road with Mountains on the horizon and houses in the distance with orange light streaming from the windows.

    I felt transported to TLOU world and for such a fucked up, cruel, scary place, I felt really calm. Maybe I felt like I was in town or maybe it was just the emotion you get when something intense happens in the game, followed by a beautiful scene of peaceful music. Calm after the storm. God I love these games. Easily my favorite piece of media ever. No story has had an impact on me like these did. Cheers.

    submitted by /u/wingedcaravan
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment