• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 2, 2020

    The Last of Us | Don't forget to—

    The Last of Us | Don't forget to—


    Don't forget to—

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 10:58 AM PDT

    We love an LGBTQ+ icon

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 11:34 AM PDT

    Rainy day

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 03:13 AM PDT

    "Not Bad!" (C) Dabbucosplay @Instagram

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 07:41 AM PDT

    Nice little bit of after-the-fact foreshadowing that I didn't notice until now.

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 07:12 AM PDT

    hmm yes this is gun

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 05:49 AM PDT

    Why I believe Neil was wrong in saying that "If you don't like X, the game doesn't work for you".

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 06:12 PM PDT

    He said during a podcast that "if you don't come around to liking Abby, the game won't work for you" (paraphrased). Now I may just be needlessly dissecting some unfortunate choice of words, so I wanna stress that this is not criticism of his statement, I just wanna share my thoughts on the matter.

    I believe there's 2 kinds of hatred that people feel for Abby, at first.

    There's emotional hatred, that says "I hate her for what she's done to me (and to Ellie). I want to kill her, because this would make me feel good, or otherwise bring me some sort of closure." This hatred is about revenge.

    There is also the more "objective" logical hatred, which says "She is a terrible person, a monster. I want to kill her because it would be right, and she deserves it." This hatred is about justice, not revenge: she deserves to die because she's evil.

    Many (though not all) of the people that disliked this game - those Neil admits the story didn't work for - were unable to let go of either type. At the end, they still hated Abby because they still believed she was an evil monster that deserved to die. They were unable to separate their thoughts from their emotions - maybe this is a stretch, but I feel like they subconsciously go "I am one of the good guys, and I hate this person, so she must be one of the bad guys". This is further shown by all-too-common attempts to discredit displays of Abby's humanity as "emotionally manipulative": they cannot reconcile the two images of Abby in their mind - the monster they want her to be, and the complex flawed person she's shown to be. They believe Ellie is letting go of justice at the end, not of hate.

    Then for the majority of the fanbase I believe the opposite happened: they let go of both types of hate. There's a flip that happens somewhere in the middle of Abby's story that makes people go "Oh shit, she's a fucking human being". These people were distraught when Ellie left for Santa Barbara, they were emotionally torn apart to see them fight as they believed one would die, and they were relieved when Ellie let go. These players showed a willingness to forgive and let go. Or, perhaps more importantly, to reconsider their past viewpoint.

    I believe Neil is wrong, though, because there's a third type of player, and obviously I'm basing this on my own experiences: those that let go of (or never had any) logical hatred, but held onto their emotional hatred, somewhat. I remember thinking very early on in the game: "This Abby probably has hopes, and dreams, and a human side, and love... And man, I still wanna make her suffer. No matter what, she took Joel away, and I can't forgive that". I like this way of viewing the game a lot because I feel it closely mirrors Ellie's own journey near the end: at the beach, there's no more hatred, only grief and loss and pain. Still, she decided to kill Abby for one reason: because she has to. For closure, for Joel, for herself, whatever it is, but there's none of that self-righteous notion of putting down some cruel monster. Contrary to what many seem to think, I do NOT think she forgave Abby (neither Ellie nor Abby ever attempted to see things from the other's perspective, both just chose to let go, for themselves). She simply saw that killing her would bring her no closure, and it wouldn't bring Joel back, so she chose to let go. Similarly, when I arrived at the beach I didn't hate Abby anymore, but when Joel's mangled face flashed onscreen, I was reminded of why I was there, and what I had to do. Not for justice, but for me (and for Ellie).

    So at the end of my third playthrough, I gotta say I don't like Abby, not emotionally. Although she has her moments, she's not endearing or likable to me. But god, I do understand her. She's a flawed human being, and one hell of a well-written character, and this game is the most impactful emotional journey I've ever had in any story. Not loving her the way I loved Joel, or Tommy, or Ellie doesn't take anything away from that.

    PS: To be fair, I'm sure many of the people who grew to love Abby are guilty of the same inability to separate thoughts and raw emotions: "I like/play as Abby, so she's actually good now". I'm not saying those who like the game are intellectually superior to those that don't.

    submitted by /u/MeshesAreConfusing
    [link] [comments]

    My face when I’m on my 4th play through and keep forgetting about that 1 artifact I’m missing in the gate.

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 07:52 PM PDT

    "I miss you so much, Dad."

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 09:09 PM PDT

    Ellie with the Snipey

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 12:30 PM PDT

    Seeing the completion time versus the time lost due to deaths is upsetting

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 05:16 PM PDT

    THIS IS SPARTAAA

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 08:31 AM PDT

    Tribute to The Man with the Golden Arm for TLOU Part II �� made by me, endure and survive y'all!

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 01:46 PM PDT

    BABY'S ALL COOKED! My Last of Us and Uncharted forearm tattoo is complete!

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    I wasn’t sure if it was possible to zoom out enough to get this shot but it worked!

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 09:55 AM PDT

    Just a sick Ellie close up shot

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 06:08 PM PDT

    Narrative of TLOU2 [SPOILERS]

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 04:52 PM PDT

    Big time spoilers below. Proceed with caution.

    I finished the game yesterday and found myself completely baffled with how the narrative in Part II was received. I'm not even talking about the angry hordes of 4chan morons who were upset that there was a girl with muscles or that they couldn't live out their fantasies playing daddy protector as Joel; I'm talking about mainstream reviewers, people who actually are fairly thoughtful, describing the game's narrative as somehow flat or shallow. Usually this took the form of saying the game was too long, that it was too dreary and violent, that it "beat you over the head" with the message of "violence and revenge are bad."

    I spoiled myself on the story when the leaks came out. I read the full plot synopsis on wikipedia, I even watched key scenes on YouTube. Because of the reception by a lot of reviewers, I wasn't expecting a ton going in. Before playing, I kind of thought I "knew" what I was getting from a narrative standpoint. I figured I'd get a fun revenge story, along with fun gameplay and the fantastic production values that come from Naughty Dog.

    But man, I'd be lying if I told you I didn't find this game's story profoundly moving after playing through it myself. It's just so nuanced, complex, and emotional. During Ellie's portion in Seattle, I really felt like I was journeying with her into the heart of darkness, both environmentally as the weather and surroundings in Seattle became ever more bleak and unforgiving, and emotionally as she ventured down this path of inner turmoil and self-hatred, hurting others just to try and fill a void that couldn't be filled.

    Then Abby's story is almost totally in reverse, like crawling back out of Hell. She starts in its deepest depths, committing her own act of horrific violence and finding the emptiness of it, before finding Lev and formulating a new purpose in her life. She learns the value of mercy and forgiveness by the end of her storyline.

    This is a game that is just so masterful in its character work. Ellie's final interactions with Joel are so painful, for both of them, and are such a natural consequence of his choices at the end of the first game. The guilt she feels over how she treated him in his final days, and her own struggles to forgive him and herself, feels truly overwhelming. Even though Joel isn't in 80% of this game, this is still predominantly a story about their relationship. I found it so poignant that it was a memory of Joel, not of him bloodied on the ground, but of the last time she saw him, sitting back, relaxing outside with a guitar, content, that made her spare Abby and drop her hatred so that she could start a new life and find new meaning for herself. That there are people who are upset you don't kill Abby at the end of this game is frankly shocking, how badly can you miss the point? How could you possibly play through this game and not feel any sort of empathy?

    This is a case where I feel this game was badly maligned by the chatter about it in the months leading up to its release. Because of the negativity I feel there are even serious people who didn't give this game and its story a shot. There are so many moments of joy, love, and contrition that I can't even imagine how you could play this and walk away thinking it was just non-stop misery. The ending is in some sense sad - Ellie has lost almost everything - but it's happy, as well, since Ellie has found a new purpose and has lost the hatred in her heart. She's walking off towards somewhere new, to start over and move on. This not a story of revenge, it's one of forgiveness, and it builds off of everything that happened in that first game. To me it was a profoundly moving experience that was only enhanced by its incredible attention to detail and the production values present. The gameplay was also fantastic. I just wish it wasn't brought out with such a shitstorm over everything.

    submitted by /u/JetJaguar124
    [link] [comments]

    Ellie in the dark

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 11:47 AM PDT

    made another ellie drawing!

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    Decided to share my in-game screenshots, amateur ones but I thought that they were pretty nice.

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 07:53 PM PDT

    For the series "Pictures taken minutes before tragedies"... *deep breath*

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 12:52 PM PDT

    Picked up some books that influenced some game...

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 01:37 PM PDT

    Guilty and traumatised ��

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 04:32 AM PDT

    Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 08:41 PM PDT

    Was playing a bit of Skyrim and got reminded of a particular scene. ��

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 12:35 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment