• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 1, 2020

    The Last of Us | Major Plot Hole In Part 2: (SPOILERS)

    The Last of Us | Major Plot Hole In Part 2: (SPOILERS)


    Major Plot Hole In Part 2: (SPOILERS)

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    When Joel has been shot in the knee, beaten everywhere with a golf club by Abby and is on the verge of death, why does he not simply pull out a med pack and bandage his right arm to make an instant recovery?

    It's the only flaw in an otherwise fantastic story.

    submitted by /u/Antman269
    [link] [comments]

    Cute Joel and Ellie art by @Velinxi !

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:09 AM PDT

    Ashley you silly young lady, this is a conversation for the people actually involved in making the game

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 01:53 PM PDT

    Comedy gold

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 04:04 PM PDT

    Wow this hurt

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 05:57 PM PDT

    Comments on my kast post suggested i draw Dina. So now we have the power couple completed, who should i do next? :)

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    Jesse's mom.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 11:01 AM PDT

    Only a normal chess game in The Last of Us Part II, right? NO. This is the famous The Game of the Century. The legendary Bob Fisher against Donald Byrne in 1956

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    I love Troy Baker

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:58 PM PDT

    Ellie is too intimidating though

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    On the game's trans representation... (As a trans person)

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 08:26 PM PDT

    ... it's actually some of the best I have seen in a work of fiction.

    When it was confirmed that there would be a trans character in Part II, my excitement for the game was a bit mired with the anxiety of how this subject would be handed. This got worse when so many people started speculating and calling (way too mockingly) Abby a man because of her arms and shoulders, and when articles claiming that "the creator intentionally made female characters less feminine to appeal to trans audiences" started popping in my recommendations. Both are problematic for the following reasons:

    1. Although I personally wouldn't mind if a trans girl got all buff in a freaking zombie apocalypse setting, this would facilitate a tired and hurtful trope of "ha, she's only like that because she's actually a man". It would also underscore the fact that a cisgender woman can be physically strong and remain feminine.

    2. Abby is played by a cis woman, and it would be a weird decision to declare her character trans when there was already talks of an actual trans actor being cast (more on that later). Nothing is truly more affirming to us than having a trans actor do a trans character.

    3. Claiming diversity and then making it ambiguous is very frustrating for us, because creators get the praise, but we don't get a solid representation , nor support. Sure, it doesn't need to be a big deal in-game, but it should be at least reflected in the casting.

    But then I saw Ian Alexander in the cast, and I was hopeful; he's very talented and inspiring. I decided to trust in the storytelling, but I wasn't really expecting to be surprised. It turns out that Lev isn't just a trans character put in there to diversify the cast. His "transness" is key to the plot in a way that fits the context and isn't forced. Although it is tragic (which is, sadly, the nature of most trans portrayals in fiction), it is so in a way that doesn't humiliate the character, or force him into situations that would be triggering for a trans person.

    I don't know how many of the people who criticize this inclusion realize just how meaningful it is for a trans person to see how Lev's gender is acknowledged and respected, both in-game by the main characters, and IRL by the folks who made the game. Moreso in such a visible franchise. It is an extreme rarity, but one a lot of us really needed.

    submitted by /u/otrxmas
    [link] [comments]

    The sheer hate in Ellie's face combined with the music? Oh man this was a great scene.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 05:34 PM PDT

    Got revenge in my own way. No more cozy nights of sleep for them.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:19 PM PDT

    When the dust settles on all of this, I think Part II will be regarded as one of the greatest games ever made

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:17 PM PDT

    I know there's a lot of us that love the game and it was reviewed very well, but I think in time, this game will get a much wider appreciation for the masterpiece it is. And I hate using that term if I can avoid it, but it's totally apt here. Reading everyone's stories and thoughts and creations has been incredible this past week as I mourn the completion of the game, and the sad thought that I'll never be able the experience it for the first time again.

    I posted my personal story and thoughts of playing through the game a few days ago, but got called retarded and pathetic for some reason, so I'll repost it for anyone who might like to give it a read, cheers!

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I'm a big fan of the first game, and have been eagerly anticipating the release of Part II for years. Twice I booked a week off of work to enjoy the game on release week, but when it actually, finally came out, I only had 3 and a half days free to fully immerse myself in it. Which is what I did, and it was an intense ride. I'm in the process of editing my video playthrough and reactions, revisiting some of the best moments all over again.

    I wanted to give some of my thoughts, neither to push back against the negativity, or to appear as going against the grain.

    In 2013, I randomly received the first game from my fiancee for my birthday. I hadn't hinted about wanting it, and was only slightly aware of it being a new game that people were talking about quite a bit. I played it, and said "that's the best game I've ever played."

    In 2016, in anticipation of a new Naughty Dog game, I bought the Uncharted remastered collection, played and loved all three of them, and then experienced Uncharted 4. I said "that's the best game I've ever played."

    So I was trying not to let myself get too preoccupied with ND topping itself yet again, even if I categorise TLOU and UC4 very differently, and a) prefer TLOU and b) considered them to be my joint favourite game ever. I avoided all the leaks, but had my speculations. The "you thought I was going to let you do this on your own?" trailer never sat right with me, and it didn't feel like a real moment. Then the hate started rolling in. All I was aware of was that people weren't happy, grumblings of SJW and equally eyebrow raising bollocks. I didn't see any way Joel would make it out of the game alive, but I had no idea when it would happen. The only thing I was sure of was, this was not going to be an adventure with Joel and Ellie. That already exists and it's called The Last of Us. It seems I was mostly right, but I don't want to address to negativity any more than I need to.

    As everyone can at least unanimously agree on: the game is absolutely breathtaking visually. Every aspect of its design is stunning. I particularly love the aesthetic of the grey, rainy Pacific Northwest (even if I'd hate actually being in it), so the main setting of the game being Seattle, coupled with the nature reclaiming itself design that TLOU excelled at, and I adore, was a perfect match for me. Gameplay smooth, fluid, expanded. They didn't try to reinvent the wheel, but added plenty of new spokes that make it feel like such a progression.

    The depth of the story and characters was wonderful. All of the little interstitial moments of dialogue as you explore areas with an ally, that reveal so much if you really listen to them, and the sheer weight of the cinematics, form such a complete and exhaustive attention to character detail. The performances are natural, likeable, hilarious, provoking and heartwrenching. Ashley Johnson in particular wows with some of the best acting I have ever seen. Especially the scene where she finds out the truth about Salt Lake City. Incredible.

    When Joel died, so unceremoniously, I didn't feel overwhelmed with extreme emotion, just empty. Like a hole had been carved out of my insides. On my playthrough video, I said nothing for 25 minutes. It felt like a necessary evil. Now the story has so much personal weight, you FEEL it yourself. It's not some logical goal that we adventure our way towards, it's a hate-filled, emotional one.

    I grew tremendously attached to Ellie's relationship with Dina, and the setting of the theatre was one of my favourites, as the wind howled outside, and the ambient music occasionally seeped through my headphones dreamily. After getting to briefly play as Abby, I was constantly questioning whether that would return. The voice actress receiving top billing, along with my steelbook featuring Ellie on the front and Abby on the back, led me to believe they would be two sides of the same coin. The longer we ventured through Seattle with NOTHING from Abby, I felt this sense of dread and suspense. Where was she, and what was she doing? Along with the terrifying central question the game now presented me with: what did Joel do?

    Perhaps it was too obvious, but the reveal of Abby's motivation to kill Joel was still shocking to me. In a crushing, "of course that's why..." realisation. Then we play as Abby. I didn't like it. From a story perspective it was a thrilling concept. In reality, I couldn't get behind her. The backstory with Owen was sweet and full of funny banter, but I could not accept it. The more training manuals I acquired I realised "fuck... this is going be half of the game." My heart POUNDED when we finally saw Abby again, in the theatre lobby, pointing her gun at Ellie. I now began to understand that that moment was now going to serve as some kind of end of season cliffhanger, but I'd have to play an entire new season before getting the conclusion.

    Abby's section felt more urgent to me purely because I was desperate to get back to Ellie. But it's long. And you can't rush this. And I began to sympathise with Abby, even see redeeming qualities. The aquarium began to be less this annoying place where I was too wary to enjoy the character building, to a sweet and endearing location, full of back story and nuance. Abby's Day 2 is the best stretch of the game, gameplay wise. From the hair-raising highs of the sky bridges, to the pulse-pounding horror of the hospital's lower levels, a sequence of hich-octane action horror befitting Aliens or The Thing.

    Now I was attached. Abby wasn't right, but I understood why she thought she was. And I also began to see how wrong Ellie also was. I couldn't really see that before because I love her so much. This was such vital perspective. I started hoping Ellie and Abby would join forces at the theatre.. maybe team up and go to the island together. Without really thinking about the fact that Ellie is never, ever going to see Abby the way we have been made to. You can be told all these things, but to experience them, to live them, is entirely different. I desperately wanted both of them to live, to go their separate ways.

    Seeing Abby become the Joel to Lev's Ellie was a fascinating parellel. Abby was haunted by that hospital hallway, and we see her nightmares of it. As she begins to help Lev and Yara, she finds a good purpose in her life again... and the nightmare becomes a dream. ("Cold.") When we eventually have to fight Ellie, I'd never been so tense. I do NOT want to do this. But there's no choice. Who we thought was the "villain" has now become the hero of her own story, through our hands. Now Ellie is the bad guy, the final boss. The RELIEF I experienced as we transitioned to the farm was incredible, even if I felt the story was ending a little unresolved. It was a great fakeout "ending."

    The scene where Abby and Lev contact the fireflies in California is essential to me. Seeing Abby's face when she gets through to them, hearing that they're out there, her happiness and drive to now commit her life to finding the light again. She is changed. When we see her next, tied up on the beach, her long hair and braid cut off (which felt like a symbol of her physical power and presence, a part of herself that existed when her father died, and kept growing longer, the pain always with her, a part of her painful youth she refused to relinquish) was heartbreaking. Maybe Ellie would show mercy, and understand.

    But she doesn't.

    As I was forced to not just fight Abby, but to SLICE and tear her flesh with a knife, I moaned out loud in anguish. "I don't want to do this!" Tears filled my eyes, as I kept fighting Abby. I tried to stop, to see if the game would let me stop, but there was no other way. I'm not telling this story. I'm living it. I have to accept it. But it's too hard to stomach. I've never felt so engaged and emotionally gripped in anything, in that moment. It completely broke me. For Abby, for Ellie, for Lev, for Joel. It's the perfect representation of the seemingly unbreakable cycle of violence. Both of these women's journeys for revenge cost them almost everything, physically and mentally. Making me care for and empathise with the "villain," who kills off my favourite character Joel, leaving me in sniffled tears as I have to fight her, is the most brilliant masterstroke of storytelling I've encountered. It affected me more than Joel's actual death... I couldn't believe what I was feeling.

    Because at the end, Abby is not the villain. And Ellie is not the hero. This story rises above such archetypal ideas in the end. Joel did bad things, and his decision in Salt Lake City caught up with him. He was not a hero. He wasn't a bad guy either. We are the impartial spectators of morality in this world, and it hurts. There are moments where I wanted more on the nose expressions. For Joel to tell Ellie he loved her, to give her a parting word before he died. I didn't get them, and that stung. This journey isn't easy. But we already know these things to be true. Some of the best details in stories like this are unsaid.

    My fiancee watched me play all of it (she can't handle the stress of facing clickers, much to her annoyance). The day after I finished it she couldn't talk to me about the ending without crying (specifically the flash-shot of Joel on the porch when Ellie almost kills Abby). To share this experience with her, after she unwittingly started my love affair with the first game, was fitting and something I cherish.

    The Last of Us Part II was incredibly bold, a pure expression, unfettered. A dark yet golden story that will never leave me. When confronted with the worst of us, through different perspectives, and a deeper, empathetic understanding of the human condition, it can be possible, to also see the best of us.

    submitted by /u/PorcoRosso88
    [link] [comments]

    A friendly reminder that lovely Ashley Johnson (Ellie) is also the awesome Gretchen Grundler from Recess.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 01:56 PM PDT

    You won’t get me this time.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:21 AM PDT

    I can’t unsee this

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:21 PM PDT

    My drawing of Ellie.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 07:45 PM PDT

    Seeing this on Joel’s nightstand knowing he was reading this to connect to Ellie made me even more emotional. I love naughty dog.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:45 PM PDT

    Leading up to the release of Par II I decided to do daily doodles of the game (and part I). This was the first one.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 08:18 AM PDT

    did anyone else notice that Ellie named one of the sheep Ewe-Gene?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 05:08 PM PDT

    i laughed so hard when i realized it. it was very On Brand ™ for her

    submitted by /u/woodtipwine
    [link] [comments]

    Joel’s jacket reminds me of a certain cowboy

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 05:27 PM PDT

    Neil Druckmann's face when he came up with the story plot for Part II

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 03:50 PM PDT

    [SPOILERS] Just finished the game, did anyone else....

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    Did anyone else find themselves begging Ellie to just let Abby go, knowing full well she couldn't? It was so hard to fight Abby after that. I was literally saying out loud, "please don't do it Ellie!". Such an amazing ending, honestly loved every minute of this journey.

    submitted by /u/bp1976
    [link] [comments]

    In case you are wondering what happens if you don't pick up the Seattle map

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    Hey guys!

    So i read a few posts about asking what happens if you don't pick up the Seattle map and i was curious myself too so i decided to try it. So if you skip it at the first time by the caravan the game will spawn it in a drawer in one of those mobile container outposts (i really don't know how to call it) just before the main gate. If you don't pick it up here then the game will spawn it on the other side in a drawer in one of those mobile container outposts next to the generator. If you still don't pick it up, the letter with the gate codes won't spawn. At this point I was like I don't need the gate codes i can look it up online! So when i started to input the main gate code after the second number it shuts down and tells incorrect password. So basically the game forces you to pick it up there's no way around it. Hope this satisfies those curious minds out there. Cheers!

    submitted by /u/AimLikeAPotato
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment