• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 30, 2020

    The Last of Us | I Drew Ellie quickly! I really loved the game and was excited to make smth :))

    The Last of Us | I Drew Ellie quickly! I really loved the game and was excited to make smth :))


    I Drew Ellie quickly! I really loved the game and was excited to make smth :))

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 11:00 AM PDT

    Loved seeing this lesson from Tommy paying off later in the game.

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 01:18 PM PDT

    Laura Bailey throwback to Abby training days

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 12:12 PM PDT

    Had to snag this record after beating the game.

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 09:08 AM PDT

    [SPOILERS] Was I playing a different game than everyone else? It was phenomenal.

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 09:09 AM PDT

    I knew there was some sort of controversy before playing, but I intentionally kept myself completely in the dark about it. I kept thinking that something must apparently jump the shark at the end to cause the vitriol, but that never happened. And I'm so glad I kept the controversy out of sight because that kind of stuff has a way of tainting your own processing of whats being presented. I had no idea Abby was going to be playable past the beginning, and initially it was upsetting... but that's the point! And by the end of her segment I was very much torn about what was happening to her and Ellie.

    Usually I'm in some kind of agreement when there's this much uproar. Mass Effect 3, Warcraft 3: Reforged, etc. But this? This I just don't get.

    Masterfully done. 9.5/10, with a half-point deduction for the Santa Barbara segment being too short.


    Edit: From the responses and feedback, I think I can safely conclude that I did, in fact, play the same game as most of you. I'm glad this set off the discussions I've read here.

    submitted by /u/Exogenesis42
    [link] [comments]

    One of the silliest criticisms that I hear about this game

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 11:03 AM PDT

    It blows my mind when people think it's a flaw in the story that Abby and her group let Ellie and Tommy live. Like, I don't know how you so thoroughly miss the entire point of a narrative when it's just sitting there, right in front of you.

    People act like this decision isn't heavily discussed by multiple characters throughout the story. Right after Abby kills Joel, there's a huge argument that explodes over whether Ellie and Tommy should be left to live. Multiple people in the group are dead set on killing them, because yeah, they understand that Ellie and Tommy are loose ends that should be tied up. Owen steps in and insists that Joel is the only one who should die, and that otherwise they're no better than him. It seems like people just willfully ignored this entire layer of conflict.

    Then we have Ellie and Dina talking while they explore Seattle, and they discuss the fact that Ellie and Tommy were spared. ELLIE HERSELF says it was a stupid decision on their part, while Dina wonders about the implications of them sparing Ellie and Tommy.

    AND THEN, Abby has that hugely important line of dialogue: "We let you live, and you wasted it."

    Welcome to one of the main themes of the game! Like, seriously, how much more does the game have to spell it out that these are complex characters that have conflicting emotions that lead them to make decisions that might contradict their best interests??

    submitted by /u/kingjulian85
    [link] [comments]

    Almost done!!!

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 12:13 PM PDT

    Gotta admit, this is not how I pictured my first death would go

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 06:27 AM PDT

    Fun fact: in order to secure the license for the PSVita in TLOU2, Naughty Dog had to agree that the screen wouldn’t break when it dropped

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 12:07 PM PDT

    I’m extremely disappointed in this game...

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 02:13 AM PDT

    I was honestly super hyped for Part II at first, as we all were, the leaks kinda destroyed all of that for a bit, but I thought I would at least give it a good fair chance. I bought the game the other day and finally popped it into my console. I got all settled in and played it for a good bit as you do until it happened. The moment. The fucking moment. You know what one... My flashlight was on and I finally got the opportunity to shake my controller to recharge it. Let me remind you, I've been waiting for this for moment for 7 years, I think we all have. I go to shake my controller and wow... the disappointment set in. It wasn't NEARLY as satisfying as it was in the first game.

    Gameplay 10/10 Story 10/10 Graphics 10/10 Flashlight Shaking Mechanics 0/10 Overall 2/10

    submitted by /u/the-good-side
    [link] [comments]

    This sequel is extremely stupid

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 11:00 AM PDT

    I mean, how is it possible that if you have a bottle you CAN'T change it for a brick? I loved the intro but as soon as I saw this game breaking mechanic I dropped the game, it's literally unplayable. Neil Duckmann and the whole team really shat the bed here.

    submitted by /u/TomiFlecchia
    [link] [comments]

    I painted happy ellie

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 11:38 AM PDT

    The level of emotional immaturity in people revealed by the plot twists is staggering

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 02:13 PM PDT

    The biggest twist in TLOU1 is about the character of Joel. Throughout almost the whole game, he seems cool, capable, and very sympathetic. He is undoubtedly a very good, multi faceted character. And then the ending happens, and he does some pretty bad stuff. And after the game spends many hours convincing you to like him, you're left with the point that, perhaps, he's actually a bad person.

    TLOU2's biggest twist is about the character of Abby. Her twist is practically the exact inverse of Joel's. Her introduction begins with you having no doubt in your mind that she's a terrible person, brutally torturing such a beloved character. And then the twist happens, and you're playing as her, and a lot of those qualities you liked in Joel are present in her too. And you learn her backstory, why she did what she did, and what primarily selfless acts she now commits. And throughout your time with her, you're now given the point that, perhaps, she's actually a good person.

    But so. goddamn. many. people refuse to even try to see it this way. As soon as something pops up that threatens to change their world view, in this case it's that they're now playing as Abby, they close their eyes and cover their ears and scream "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOUUU!". And then, instead of attempting to change anything in the face of that, they go and lash out at anything they can think of blaming instead. In this case, that thing is primarily the writers of the game.

    Throughout both games you're asked to reexamine your opinions on the characters of Joel, Ellie, and Abby. And after examining them, you can decide if Joel and Ellie are actually bad and if Abby is actually good. And you don't have to reach that conclusion, you're not wrong if that's still not how you feel. But you're wrong if you don't try. So many players have refused to reexamine the first opinion that popped into their head once new information was presented, and that is a failure that can't be blamed on the game's creators, it's a failure that can only be placed squarely on the shoulders of that player.

    submitted by /u/JamSa
    [link] [comments]

    Finally found time to complete my fan art of The Last Of Us Part 2

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 02:54 AM PDT

    this is so incredibly cool

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 11:39 AM PDT

    Such a wonderful figure

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 10:58 AM PDT

    Petition to get the Troy Baker (Joel) and Ashley Johnson (El) to make a full cover of future days and release it

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 03:53 PM PDT

    Every time I hear the first couple seconds of the beginning rift I tear up, would be awesome to have a full release on spotify and other music platforms and not bits and pieces compiled together on youtube.

    submitted by /u/Heatjaw
    [link] [comments]

    TLOU2 has left an empty void...

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 02:03 PM PDT

    I took my time with this one, exploring every nook and cranny, and finished it late last night. I woke up this morning feeling completely depressed and like something is missing from my life. This is one of the best video games I have ever played, and I honestly don't know how I'll move forward without comparing everything to TLOU2.

    Anyone else feel the same? I really hope I'm not alone.

    submitted by /u/WowWhatABeaut
    [link] [comments]

    Just finished my Tlou guitar

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    Berleezy's great realizations 10 mins after his rant about the game, mimmics exactly my thoughts

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 08:09 AM PDT

    My favourite review pull quote that completely misses the point.

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 10:42 AM PDT

    I was scrolling through Metacritic and one review blurb was this:

    In trying to subvert expectations, The Last of Us Part II discards the best aspects of its predecessor to provide a rote revenge tale that is ill-considered, ending on a note that makes everything — all the violence, all the loss, all the struggle — feel utterly, hopelessly pointless.

    (emphasis mine)

    This is one of those examples where the reviewer came this close to understanding the point of the game.

    Revenge is pointless. It doesn't bring justice. It doesn't bring people back. It just causes more pain.

    People who wanted a triumphant revenge tale are used to our stories being fantasy wish-fulfillment. TLOU2 says "ok, you want revenge? this is what revenge does, it ruins lives."

    I'm just very frustrated how so many people have failed so completely at understanding the message this game is trying to convey.

    I have made this post in good faith, please only comment respectfully.

    submitted by /u/jay_mack
    [link] [comments]

    Little edit I put together - "I'll be watching over you, baby girl."

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 02:11 PM PDT

    Rehearsing Take on Me from Shannon Woodward's Instagram

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 04:19 PM PDT

    I feel like the reasons why the people are so upset are actually why this game is amazing, and the bashing is so toxic. (spoilers ahead)

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    My point has probably been made before, so I apologize if these were already pointed out as it is my first post here. I am just literally sick of how mean and toxic people are towards this game and the people who worked on it. And I feel like most of their complaints are mostly what actually made this game a masterpiece to me. I apologize for the long analysis but I just need to get this out and process.

    "Joel is dead after all of this" This is a post apocalyptic world where the humans are probably worse than the monsters lurking around and they really expected an happy ever after for everyone? Don't get me wrong I loved Joel, I didn't want him to die. But this game is a tragedy, and we can only thank naughty dog for having the guts to live up to that and not give us a lazy adventure with Joel and Ellie filled with butterflies and giraffes. That would be crowd pleasing and fan service, and THAT would've been lazy writing. I didn't want a tragedy, but I'm happy I got one. This is the developers' job to put their hearts into a story with meaning and not be blinded by the fans expectation, and they have all my respect for that.

    "the deaths are stupid and anticlimactic" once again people, what else did you expect in a post apocalyptic world? The deaths of Joel & Jesse may be upsetting, but they are simply brutal and gut wrenching. They're here, and the minute later they are gone. Forever. No warning. No words. No goodbyes. Is it frustrating? Yes. Is it sad? Oh f*** yes. But it's also what makes them tragic and memorable. It reminds you that in this story absolutely no one is safe and you should not believe you have it all figured out. I hated these deaths, but I will say it : it serves the purpose of this story and their brutality and nonsense is what makes them memorable and realistic in this tragedy. Geez people this is the apocalypse, you can't expect people to all have a beautiful, meaningful death with an incredible goodbye speech even if they are important characters.

    "I hate Abby". We ALL hated Abby at first. We pretty much ALL got pissed when we realized we were going to play with her for a long time. But naughty dog knew that. They made us play her after they made her perfectly evil to Ellie's eyes and ours. But that was the point : making you believe in evil until you realize evil is a very thin concept depending on the point of view. No one was really good, no one was really evil. We all loved Joel and no one wants Ellie to die. But can you imagine how people feels when they see that some of the only surgeons left and able to saves lives are dead? How Ellie surviving caused literally millions of people to die? Men, women, children died from this decision. Obviously from this point of view Joel can be perceived as evil. But from Joel point of view, killing one child to save the world was the evil. Perception and point of view.

    "what's the point if Abby doesn't die, that revenge lesson is dumb. Well, that's the point of the entire game. I was literally dying to kill Abby at first, and by the end of the game I would've been extremely disappointed if she did. Abby surrendered to revenge. And then she slowly realized that it wasn't as fulfilling as she thought it was. So instead, she decided to prove to herself she could do good. She saved these kids putting her own life in danger, turned against her own people and speared Ellie THREE times even after Ellie murdered every single one of her friends and was injured enough to be killed in a heartbeat : Because Abby knew that revenge wasn't fulfilling. It's bringing out the worst in you and do more harm than good. Instead, she says she never wants to see her and let Ellie LIVE to go live with Lev the boy she saved to only do good. This was her redemption.

    On her hand, Ellie has been spiraling into hatred to create a bloodbath. We spend the entire game butchering people and dogs and the game is one huge spiral of ultraviolence. Which was a brilliant way of making the whole narrative point : is all of this really what we want? Abby decided that revenge wasn't making her feel better so she speared people to go live a positive life. Ellie let revenge destroyed her life. She lost Dina, the baby and even her ability of playing guitar, which was her only legacy left of Joel now that he's gone. She was there at the beach, nearly dying, grunting, stomping, filled with hate to fulfill her revenge, willing to kill Lev, a little boy, to achieve her goal. Is this really the ending you wanted? Is this really what you want for Ellie? Abby lost everyone she loved and went through hell to save other people. She suffered enough and she actually PAID for her revenge. She didn't deserve deserve to die.

    Another thing people seems to be missing out about the revenge narrative : Ellie wasn't only doing this for Joel, but also for herself. She wasn't close to Joel anymore and she was mad at him because of his lie. And when he died she was mostly mad at herself for not forgiving Joel. He died before Ellie could forgive him and this is what this quest was really about : Ellie not being able to forgive herself for being mad at Joel. The game ends on Ellie saying "I don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive you, but I really want to try" the night before he died. Ellie forgives Joel, forgives herself, and she couldn't just keep this bloodbath going anymore, and with that she was able to forgive Abby. She goes home after her redemption, ready to get her life back together and hopefully her family with Dina and the baby, ready to do only good.

    This is pure narrative gold and genius character arc. How can you think this ending was a letdown? How can a lesson about revenge be a lazy and bad narrative to you when the story about Joel having a transfer with Ellie and his dead daughter was considered pure genius? How can a tragedy be bad when we praised the ending of the first game that was extremely emotional AND difficult to bear as well? What's wrong with you people?

    I feel like problem is that we're in 2020 and people just can't be pleased anymore. People can't accept that art won't go their way, won't please them and will shock them because it is what ART is about. At this point I feel like nothing Naughty dog would do would've been good enough for you. Not to mention the constant bullying and insults towards the people who worked on it, or the fans who actually loved it. How one gay scene brings out homophobia and stupid LGBT propaganda statements, or how a woman being beefy and not having boobs that are big enough means she's not a woman. Some people aren't just missing out on a masterpiece but also act mean, toxic and disgusting. This is the real tragedy here.

    submitted by /u/WehaveTheFacts_
    [link] [comments]

    I never been so conflicted in a game having to commit to this part

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 12:40 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment