• Breaking News

    Tuesday, November 24, 2020

    The Last of Us | Dual monitor wallpaper for those who need some extra

    The Last of Us | Dual monitor wallpaper for those who need some extra


    Dual monitor wallpaper for those who need some extra

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 09:56 PM PST

    Converse ⍟

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 03:15 AM PST

    How it started / How it's going

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 11:32 AM PST

    I made Ellie (and Rileys) joke books!

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 11:16 AM PST

    Ellie Williams Updated Fanart by me (Cius Chung)

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 06:17 AM PST

    My favourite Character. RIP Danny. Left us too soon ����

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 04:35 PM PST

    Definitely one of the best I’ve taken in this game!

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 05:42 PM PST

    Custom Ellie render test

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 12:36 PM PST

    Endure and Survive

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 01:19 PM PST

    "Lettuce and tomatoes, that's it!"

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 03:58 PM PST

    Day 3 Ellie

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 09:57 AM PST

    "I just... I didn't think you'd be okay with all of this."

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 06:48 AM PST

    Ellie

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 06:54 AM PST

    Finally i can play The Last of Us on PC(?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 01:02 PM PST

    Journey

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 06:55 AM PST

    Couple of pics I took in TLOU2!

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 08:32 PM PST

    Had another crack at drawing Ellie!

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 06:16 PM PST

    Just finished pt1 for the first time, and I understand why everyone says it’s an incredible game (some pt1 spoilers)

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 07:23 PM PST

    Hey y'all, I know I'm waaaaaay late here but I just finished part 1 for the first time and...

    Wow what a goddamn great game it is. Genuinely the best I've played, and the only one in the same neighborhood in terms of impact right after finishing for me is Detroit: Become Human

    I think what made it so great to me (alongside the incredible relationship between Joel and Ellie) was the way the game makes you feel the emotions of the characters in gameplay, especially with desperation and dread. I don't know if it's because of the grounded camera angles making you feel closer, the sparse inventory system, or whatever else the reason could be, but when you're getting run off the bridge by a hunter tank in Pittsburgh or frantically running around Bills neighborhood looking for the motor, I felt the desperation in the moment in a way I've never felt in a game before. The "calm before the storm" moments at the start of each chapter where you're horseriding through the university, petting giraffes, and other stuff are so incredible at relaxing you before throwing you into the next confrontation. Overall the mood of just about every scene is absolutely on point.

    Personally the most impactful moment of the story came from the end cutscene of the fight with David. When Joel comforts Ellie after what I assume was a rape attempt and the game audio cuts out his voice it just hit me like a truck. I tried to stop at one season for each day of playing so I took a day long break after that and the moment really stuck with me. And the toughest part was (for some reason) the one section in the sewers where you're separated from Ellie and Henry and make it through a few rooms with Sam. I don't know why, it wasn't particularly different or challenging in any one way, but for some reason I just couldn't get past those little shits, and Sam would do me no favors whatsoever when it came to hiding behind things in a way that makes an iota of sense.

    I haven't played the second part before, and based on what I've heard from it I'm not sure if I will. I might just prefer the open-ended, somewhat tense ending of part 1 (also kind of a tangent but that final cutscene where the guitar riff starts before the "I swear" and transitions into the credits is incredible, I'd never gotten goosebumps during end game credits-until just now). What do y'all think about it, would you guys rather have the pt1 ending be the final part of the story, or would you rather keep it as it is? I haven't heard too many good things about pt2 but is it better to have closure for the series?

    I don't know if y'all are tired of these kinds of posts or not but I just had to put my thoughts down after finishing because the game impacted me more than any other I've played. So this will pretty much serve as an open love letter to naughty dog. This game rules. I'm moving on to left behind, and maybe pt2 if you guys recommend it.

    Endure and survive.

    submitted by /u/yohabloquesidilla
    [link] [comments]

    Doggo approves

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 08:15 AM PST

    Here’s my portrait(s) of Ellie and Dina!

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 11:10 AM PST

    I just finished the last of us 2 moments ago and I’ve got a lot to say. Spoilers and conversation ahead.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 12:44 PM PST

    I want to start this off by saying I loved The Last of Us but didn't play it until it was remastered on ps4. I think it's one of the best games ever made and I hesitated to play the sequel due to the nonstop backlash I saw it getting.

    Well, I finished it and honestly think I liked it more than the original.

    I loved every moment of it and the closer I got to the end to more I enjoyed Abby. I actually think she's my favorite character overall. The scene where we had to go across the skyscraper and she was terrified really made her feel human and that moment was crazy to me.

    I'm 36 years old and almost cried at the end when I thought Abby was going to die. It was one of the hardest things and most disturbing in a video game for me.

    I understand the love for Joel but by the end of the game I did agree with Abby and just wanted everything to go smooth for everyone which of course it won't lol.

    I have to give the game a 9.9 out of 10.

    I'm nitpicking but my only complaint about the game is the aiming. I may be alone in this but something just felt off about aiming in this game and I missed way more than I have in any other shooter.

    Or I'm just getting old.

    submitted by /u/CzarTyr
    [link] [comments]

    My feelings on Part II, and how discontent might have been mitigated. [SPOILERS]

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 06:34 PM PST

    The more I reflect on this game the more I realise it was actually nearly very good. There is so, so much it does well. The difficulty in appreciating all the good stuff is down to the fundamental pillars of the narrative being undermined by just a handful of mistakes, and whether or not the audience really latches onto these particular mistakes could be - I reckon - the main determining factor in whether or not we enjoy the game. If I had to use a metaphor, I'd say it's less of a bland meal and more of a tasty meal with a giant cockroach hiding beneath the first bite.

    I really wanted to like the game, was disappointed when I didn't, and having unpicked the reasons why I'm just left irritated that such an avoidable mistake wasn't... well, avoided!

    Before I get into it, I just want to say that regardless of how well-executed the story might have been, there would have been a number of people who disliked the story regardless. Of course there would. It's one of the world's biggest franchises, it's quite unavoidable. A fair few of them would still have been the same socially deranged toxic spoilsports who spend their days harassing/threatening voice actors via internet media. They're scum and should be unapologetically condemned as embarrassments to the rest of us.

    I don't like Ketchup, but I don't run around threatening to kill Heinz employees. If you're one of those people, the rest of this post probably won't interest you one bit so kindly stop reading and find a better thread for you to vent your rage.

    With that out of the way, let's move on.

    The Heart of the Story

    Let's summarise the first game in relatively abstract terms. It's a tale of loss and grief, set against a post-apocalyptic setting in a a literal and metaphorical sense. It starts at rock bottom and becomes a heart-warming story of a bereaved father learning to care and love again.

    Near the end, he is faced with a choice; let the deranged scientists dissect the human child they've just paid to have trafficked through you, a decision he seriously entertains because the child isn't really his tribe, she isn't his blood... but instead he opens up his heart to the fact that a vulnerable child (who is every bit as valid a family as his daughter once was) is left relying on him.

    He accepts that bond, and chooses that love over the pay check. He neutralises anyone who stands between his new family and safety in a scene which is intentionally a visual throwback to his daughter's death, right down to the cradling in his arms, and we see a man who is desperate to never feel that loss again.

    The Lesson

    Love always prevails, and spills across the lines our society tries to draw around 'tribes'. Ellie may not be immediate family to Joel by conventional wisdom, but their bond was exactly so.

    I'm sure you can immediately see the overlap with Part II. It too was a story about loss, grief, love, and tribalism. And in theory, it should have felt congruous with the first game. So why didn't it?

    Simply this: because it accidentally bins the lessons it taught in the first game, becoming by definition incongruous. The players were (via Joel) punished for embracing love and bonds, for empathising with loss and grief, and for rejecting tribalism-based compassion with kindness. The virtuous lessons we enjoyed were suddenly rebranded as wrongdoings.

    And then the kicker; the sequel then proceeds to re-teach the player the exact same lesson through a separate set of circumstances.

    Tom and Jerry

    The term ludonarrative dissonance is often ascribed to the moral gap between gameplay and scripted storytelling.

    A similar gap exists between fiction and reality, wherein people are more accepting of decisions or rationalisations within a story than they would be had those precise events taken occurred in their own world. This gap is due to the player experiencing the fictional universe the same way a God might experience ours; they are outsiders with a cold, mathematical, and measured approach to harm.

    This is a major source of friction; players who feel as though they experience the story from within the world are seeing Jerry's decision to murder a child the same way any sane person might react if they found out the government planned to kidnap their daughter/son/mother/father in order to extract an unproven cure to a disease.

    Other players view the decision not through the eyes of a loved one, but through the eyes of the Cabinet Minister who has the option presented to them of kidnapping a random child off the street and murdering them, all in order to (let's apply this to real life) cure COVID. A tough decision to be sure, but we have to be honest - murder is murder. Even if we can all empathise with that fictional Minister's plight, we understand that any harm which befalls him in the process is a justifiable act of defence by either the victim's self or guardian.

    Some of us would see him as a monster with ill-conceived good intentions, and others would see him as the hero willing to make the hard choice.

    Both views are valid. Both can be argued about until the cows come home. And the very validity of both views is where the fracture begins.

    The Story Only Works If...

    The entire story in Part II revolves around the player's acknowledgement of Joel's 'crimes' in Part II. The writing staff of Part II assume the god-like perspective on the story simply due to the process of crafting a fictional universe. To them it's crystal clear that Joel's actions have, on balance, caused more harm than good to their world.

    And so the story moves on, with the presumption that this highly contentious belief is shared by the entire audience. It becomes the coat hanger for the story, upon which every thread is hanged.

    Thus we find ourselves here: the story only works if you believe that Jerry was the saviour of mankind, and that Joel was a selfish murderhobo who deserved to die regardless of how much we loved him.

    It is my sincere belief that the decision to construct an entire experience which either stands tall or crashes and burns based on the one aforementioned detail above was the biggest mistake made by the game by far, as it so avoidably amplified the lukewarm reception.

    Joel's death was delivered to us as retribution for the wrongdoings at the end of the first game, which once served as positive and heartfelt lessons on the very same themes Part II tried to encapsulate.

    Want to know something which makes it even more frustrating?

    One Tiny Detail Changes It All

    Joel didn't murder anyone in the final scene of the first game. Sure, he killed people - but he didn't set out with the sole intention of taking names. Anyone who died at the end was an armed combatant trying to facilitate the non-consensual slaughter of an innocent child for the purpose of scientific research. Whether they were Jerry holding her life at scalpel-point, or assault rifle-carrying grunts hunting for kids, they were killed out of necessity and not out of cold blood.

    At least, all of that would be true... if it hadn't been for Marlene.

    Joel had turned a corner, and rejoined humanity. He loved again, and while he hadn't forgotten his grief, he had moved past it and formed new bonds which were worth living for. He was still Joel, a battle-hardened veteran who once roamed the streets as scum, but any violence we saw was in defence of what he loved and not calculated murder.

    Then came the car park scene. He exited the elevator, and exchanged words with Marlene. And that's when he had his moment of weakness, strayed briefly from the lessons taught, and made the cold-blooded decision to murder Marlene.

    It wasn't self defence. It wasn't necessary. And all of us felt the shock of the moment. It felt wrong. It felt dirty.

    And that's it. The superior coat hanger was right under their nose the entire time. There was no need to install such a head-scratching retcon on top of an already contentious issue, there was no need to render the metastory of the franchise asunder.

    It Just Works ™

    Marlene's death already had all of the capital the sequel wasted time in trying to contrive through Jerry, whose fleshed-out background was about as convincing as a crash-surviving islander introduced in Season 4 of Lost claiming to have been there the entire time.

    With her as the focal point, everything simply clicks better. She ought to have been the subject of revenge rather than Jerry. The daughter of the one human Joel undeniably murdered at the end of the first game coming for his head would have been genuinely karmic.

    His death would have been sad, but so avoidable, as all it would have taken was for him to extend his newfound mercy to a human who was not a direct threat to the innocent child. She lowered her weapon. She was possibly letting him leave, but begging him to choose her side. He wounded her. So far, proportionate and measured.

    After putting Ellie in the car, Joel weighed up his options. He made a cold and calculated decision - he executed her as she lay on the ground pleading for her life. He felt it would prevent a chain events culminating in a child's death. Just for a moment, Joel became... well, he became Jerry. A man ignoring his moral compass for 'the greater good'. It was a clever scene, one which presented a real crack in his post-development character.

    With Marlene as the subject of Abby's revenge (picture a young Abby watching her unarmed and injured mother getting shot again in the face just for good measure), the lessons learned from Joel's journey would have remained intact. We would have been upset, but more in the way intended and less in the disappointed sense. Jerry's inability to resonate with the full spectrum of the audience would not have been the same barrier.

    Joel's death would have been sad, but coherent. And when you take a step back, you realise that large swathes of the game could have remained as they currently are without detracting from the story. Because it's not a bad game. It's just an incompatible sequel... and it came so close to avoiding that.

    The failure of fans of the first game to enjoy the sequel doesn't necessarily stem from an inability to understand the sequel. In many cases, it's quite the opposite; it comes from the sequel failing to understand its predecessor. I'm not going to bring 'death of the author' into this, because this post is long enough. Thanks for reading and I'd love to know your thoughts!

    TL;DR

    Jerry Marlene

    submitted by /u/ChaosKeeshond
    [link] [comments]

    I tried photo mode for the first time and I'm actually really proud of the results! Still stunned about what you can do with it!

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 06:54 AM PST

    Max's Place

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 02:00 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment