• Breaking News

    Friday, January 15, 2021

    The Last of Us | I tried to make Joel in Red Dead Redemption 2

    The Last of Us | I tried to make Joel in Red Dead Redemption 2


    I tried to make Joel in Red Dead Redemption 2

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:02 AM PST

    How good is it?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:40 AM PST

    How does it look?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:28 PM PST

    Why is shaved joel so fucking cursed

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 04:55 PM PST

    It feels both strange and comforting to once again be back anticipating something we have no idea about — but let’s do it!

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 04:52 PM PST

    I wonder what they are working on

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 03:49 PM PST

    I painted a bloater. These dudes will be available as prints soon

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:14 PM PST

    I made this piece on The Last of Us Day, but mainly for our dear old man's birthday (*´˘`*) I hope you like it!

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 12:25 PM PST

    These just came in the post - probably the coolest item I now own.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 02:20 PM PST

    Signed by Troy Baker tlou print arrived. "Enjoy the crab rangoon" my favourite quote from his role as Pagan Min :)

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 01:35 PM PST

    I could not help but repeat this moment from the game. so much emotions ...����

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 01:19 PM PST

    Just got these two beauties in the mail. Can't wait to put them on my backpack.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:35 AM PST

    Ellie and Joel ❤️ insta @jentindallgraphics

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:40 AM PST

    I only noticed this today The location of the operating room is literally written on the sign to your left, Joel lol

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 02:38 PM PST

    ��‍♂️��

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 03:09 PM PST

    Ellie - The Last of US Fanart by me : IG : RusoArt

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 12:26 PM PST

    Ellie, covered in blood

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 12:24 PM PST

    The queen herself!

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 01:15 PM PST

    A critique of the infected

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:16 PM PST

    Preface

    I love both games, and I especially love the infected. They are a very creative enemy that stands out among other zombie-esque games, and they tickle me as a biologist. My critiques come from a place of good faith, and I would love to see the infected improved and expanded in any future installments that Naughty Dog might develop. I have completed the game twice, on survivor and survivor+, and I am a third of the way through another playthrough on Grounded; my comments about difficulty therefore arise from playing on the upper difficulty levels. I am also not the best player, so please do not interpret those comments as me being arrogant.

    Combat dynamics

    Infected in this game are generally easy to take down, even when present in the average group size of ~4-5. Specifically, leg shots make encountering infected uninspiring in terms of gameplay. I actually like this stun mechanic and wouldn't remove it, if given the option. However, I think there are a few ways the devs could have subdued its power and ubiquitous utility. For example, Ellie fights clickers wearing body armor in the bank during Seattle Day 1. Base-level infected (runners, stalkers, and clickers) could spawn with different amounts of body armor, with rarity increasing with level of armor. Some infected could have 1 or 2 shin guards (e.g., riot gear) that counteract leg shots, forcing players to temporarily alter their play-styles. This would also fit nicely into the lore/world-building because Seattle had a rather large military presence, making military/police armor relatively common. Fighting other infected, like the shamblers and bloaters seemed generally uninspiring, and I will get to those enemies later on.

    Infected (and human enemies) still have simple patrol routes when unaware of the player's presence. These routes sometimes seem more complex than in the first game, but they still make it easy to stealth kill or sneak past infected. From an immersion perspective, this also loosens (but not breaks!) me from the world because it becomes more obvious that I am fighting a program instead of a life-like enemy. The immersion-loosening gets particularly bad for me when there are 2+ enemies just walking back and forth in a small space. Enhancing AI-AI interaction for infected might improve this (e.g., having infected bump into each other, briefly aggro each other without causing damage, etc) – on the other hand, I can see the lack of interaction among infected as intentional, as though they exist unaware of each other's presence. I do enjoy that the patrol routes seem to shift somewhat as the player moves around the environment – it seems like the AI are programmed to dynamically respond to player location, even when they are unaware of the player from a combat perspective.

    Shamblers

    From a lore perspective, the shamblers really loosened my immersion. The classes of infected from the first game illustrated a logical disease progression with a straightforward art design. Shamblers do not fit into that progression very nicely, in my opinion. They are soft, pink, retain their eyes (which sometimes seem to glow – might just be a glitch), and are generally devoid of colorful plate-like fungal growths – they look almost alien. Druckmann actually touches on this himself, saying that the first game's infected classes were well-defined, making the need to justify a new, relatively common class very important. I never picked up on that justification. A collectable notes includes one person's hypothesis that the excess of water in Seattle led to mutations in the fungus, but this just doesn't make sense from a biological perspective. Individuals don't evolve via mutation. I could see environment-dependent disease progression partially explaining this (i.e., something about excess moisture triggers alternative development in the pathogen), but this is never illustrated or elaborated on in the game. In fact, Santa Barbara has a number of shamblers, even though that region is generally dry compared to other areas of the US featured in the two games.

    However, I like the attempt. More environmentally variable infected would be a great addition to any later games (e.g., infected in dark, swampy places like flooded basements could have sloughed off flesh, become more prone to fusing with one another, or are "squishier" damage-wise). Better-defined, alternative developmental paths would be great as well (e.g., the classic runner→stalker→clicker→bloater path could be the dominant one, and then we could see an additional branch, from say the stalker). Seeing intermediate stages would also be interesting and could contribute positively to gameplay variation (e.g., finding a beefy clicker that has not fully developed into a bloater, a fully blind but also deaf stalker-clicker that is aggressive towards everything, etc), with the benefit of not breaking the core disease progression established in the first game.

    From a gameplay perspective, I understand the appeal of an area-of-effect enemy that is range-limited and weaker than the bloater, but frankly, shamblers were more annoying than anything else. They're essentially walking bloater projectiles. I think a similar effect could have been achieved by having proximity-activated pustules growing on the walls that burst and temporarily hinder movement through the play space (imagine something like smaller Flood growth pods from Halo 3, without the infection forms). This would also fit in better with the pre-existing lore, as we have seen the fungus take over the environment plenty of times. Fungal puff balls are also real things and seem to have inspired the shambler and bloater in the first place.

    Bloaters

    Bloaters are one of those enemies that I imagine it is tough to elaborate on from a design perspective. They seem virtually unchanged from the first game, except for the new mechanics for breaking parts of the environment. I'm not trying to change things for the sake of change, but bloaters were never the most interesting or challenging enemy. I'm also going to commit a big no-no and say that I also can't really think of a way to improve them. This perhaps also contributes to how rarely they're used in both games.

    Special infected spoiler

    No comment on the rat king lore here – it makes great sense, and I think smaller fusions of infected could be cool additions to future games. Visually, the rat king was a little immersion-loosening for me. It looks too Dead Space-esque and alien to me, for a fungal pathogen that originated on Earth. From a gameplay perspective, I was also pretty disappointed in the rat king. Although the fight definitely got my adrenaline pumping, this enemy is really just a glorified bloater – the unusual stalker-type part of it is the most interesting, in my opinion. For a conglomerate of multiple infected with 5+ appendages, I think its interaction with the player and environment could have been more creative. Having the rat king split apart into successively smaller, more agile enemies (during gameplay) in different ways depending on how it gets damaged could also have been interesting. Right now I'm imagining a fungal equivalent of those masses of daddy long legs people sometimes find.

    Thank you for making it this far – I would love to hear other people's thoughts on the infected. They are some of the most interesting enemies I've encountered in video games, and I hope Naughty Dog continues to experiment and improve them in the future.

    submitted by /u/argentsatellite
    [link] [comments]

    ��‍♂️My homescreen wallpaper��

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 03:06 PM PST

    Hello! This is a highlight/compilation video my friend made of his first play through of the game, cause he always put off playing it, I thought it was pretty funny so I thought I’d share it here if anyone wants to see a first-time player struggle ��

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:12 PM PST

    The calm before the storm.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:59 AM PST

    Got a belated Christmas gift from my little brother yesterday. He knows me so well ��

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:57 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment